Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Blog 14 revision of: Blog 9

When I changed small things like sentence fragments, run-ons, capitalization, and spelling I did not bold the text. I bolded the text when I added new text in, or changed something around alot.

Ralph was whispering to Piggy, huddeled around the small signal fire down on the beach. Sam and Eric stood close straining to hear the conversation. They laughed quietly and wandered over to group of little ones digging in the sand. A thin trickle of smoke snaked up into the sky, contrasting oddly with the golden clouds. The wind had slowly picked up and was now blowing steadily, churning the hot air and blowing it every which way.
I saw Ralph gently take the conch from Piggy's arms, and raise it to his lips. Before he drew in a breath I slowly moved aside a wall of creepers and slipped easily through, barely touching the vines. The conch sounded shortly, causing the birds to flit around from nest to nest calling out stridently. I followed the old pig track, to the base of the mountain. There were still faint footprints from the hunt, and a lot of brush was crushed haphazardly at the base of the hill. I could see where they had fallen, there were long skid marks in the ground. I wonder what they must have seen, to send them down the mountain so flustered. I shivered at the though and continued on. I stepped off the pig run and, slowly walked through the jungle towards Castle Rock, Jack's base. Stepping carefully through the mass of ferns I arrived, overlooking a group of boys. Jack's eyes were wildly happy and he was sitting in a makeshift chair, decorated with various ornaments, flowers, vines, and he wore his mask of clay. He was speaking gleefully to a small group of boys, who intently listened to his words. They were gazing up at him revrently, and hppily glacing at the carcass of a pig stil skerwed on the stick.
A fetid smell came wafting towards me on the hot wind. I rose slowly from the hill top and skirted the edge of the jungle back towards Ralph's camp. The smell followed me, clinging to my skin and every time I drew a breath I would retch. It became steadily stronger as I approached the base of the mountain, a fly idly looped passed my nose and I brushed it off irritably. More and more of them kept, buzzing around my head, searching for the source I looked around. Black eyes, peered at me from between the leaves. Empty sockets black and lifeless. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply, slowly I opened one eyes. They were still there. I stared cautiously and moved towards the eyes. I pushed past the leaves and there, lifelessly smiling was a pig's head on a stick. The stick, was sticky and brown with blood, and some slowly oozed towards the ground. The mouth was open, with he tongue lolling out to one side, the heat beat down on the island slowly draining all the energy out of the mountain. The mouth seemed to move, and the eyes moved, coldy staring me up and down. My eyes unfocused and the head hung in mid air, demon like before me. I stumbled and caught myself just before I fell. I was transfixed by the face suspeded before me, and suddenly it spoke.
"A mistake, just leave go back to Ralph." Flies weaved in and out of the eyes. The voice seemed calm, but with an edge.
"You are a silly, boy." Said the Lord of the Flies. "Don't you agree?" I tried to talk but my tongue felt heavy in my mouth and I just stared.
"Go play, leave, go to the other boys." I felt myself answer, silently conversing without meaning to.
"They will think you are batty, you like Ralph a lot, don’t you?" Teasing the head continued.” You don’t want Ralph to think you are batty do you?"
The stick had gone, the head was floating in space right above me. Sprawled on the ground I could do nothing but stare.
"I am the Beast, aren’t you scared boy? Just run away." A slightly menacing air had come about the pig's head. " I am the beast! I am inside you, you cannot kill me!"
"Pig on a stick" I managed, drawing a deep breath. "Its a pig..." I couldnt manage any more and I could slowly feel my self sinking down. My vison clouded even more, and I tried greedily to fill my lungs with air. I couldn't draw in enough air. I fought the comeing sensation, and it all seemed to anger the head.
"You think you know more than I do, you cannot escape that way, I will be there."
The pig's head slowly swelled to the point where I was staring into the black of the mouth. I was swallowed up and I couldn’t brethe, I gave up and slumped down.
-----------
A hot gust, blew through the trees. Slowly I drew in a deep breath the head was gone and the glade was locked in a eerie silence.
"What do I do?" Questioning the leaves, the trees, the butterflies, but none of them answered. I Clambered slowly up. Wincing I felt something warm running down my nose. I touched my nose hesitantly, and my hand came back stained red. Wiping my nose with my arm, a long line of blood stretched from my forearm to my wrist.
Leaving the glade I continued towards the base of the mountain wincing with every step. The climb was easy, there was a small path and was worn by boys running to and fro by the signal fire. Clouds piled high towering in the sky, a gold color illuminated by the last rays on sunlight. I reached the top in about five minutes of steady walking. Uneasy I peered around a bluder at the platform. There was a man sitting on top the of the mountain hunched over, his limbs sprawled at odd angles. Something blues was snapped open by the wind, and the man sat up. I gasped in horror. His skin was pitted and hollowed, and the eyes were empty sockets, black holes. The wind died down a bit and he slumped down again, locked in a steadfast ritual. Sadly I approached the figure and untangled it from the rocks. It flopped down and lay still. So this was the ape, the supposed beast. The poor boys had driven to savagery by the thought of a giant ape, when really it was the pilot. I had to tell the other boys, Jack might change then it he knew there was no beast. He would lose the edge he gained when promising to protect the boys from the beast.
I climbed down the hill after one last glance at the pilot. I would have to go tell Ralph there was no beast. I shielded my eyes and looked for a column of smoke to show me where the camp was. There was one in the distance over near castle rock, they must have moved camp. Maybe Ralphh could convince Jack there was no beast, he could show him the pilot and then all the nonsense would be over. Jack was a bit batty also, he was consumed with power. His desire for pig had been almost scary, it wasnt a desire to provide food, but more to hunt and kill. I think that above all else made him feel powerful. It was a bit sad really. Far off I could hear a tremulous chanting, it was getting louder as I drew nearer.
"Kill the pig, cut her throat, spill her blood!" Eager to tell the news, I tripped on a rock and stumbled out into the clearing. The air stank of corruption and I could see a mass of boys manically chanting.
"A pilot on the hill! There was no beast." They turned, there eyes gleaming and as one body moved forward surging towards me. There is no beast!" Scared now I slowly tried to turn and run but they sprinted up to me. I could see Jack face painted eyes glittering, shoving his ay through I felt teeth on my arm, a spear was flung and lodged it self in my back. I crouched low to the ground and covered my head. The chant had changed...
"Kill the beast, cut his throat, spill his blood!"
They were stabbing me, biting me, clawing me frenzied and delighted in the darkness. I wrenched away and I ran over, off the edge of the rock, but they were too fast. They all jumped on me at once, I felt something close in on my neck, there were a million hands all grabbing at me. There were more spear flung into the mass, the stung and their barbed ends kept them hanging off me. All my senses seemed gone, I could feel them any more and the world had turned pitch black. Slowly I faded away and fell onto the beach, the pain was gone, but so was I.
---
A lone figure clumsily waltzed down the beach, and walked past Simon, illuminated and floating out by the reef, it floated down the mountain past the boys and out towards the sunset hanging limply.

No comments: